At AgStar, we understand starting a career in farming comes with its own unique set of challenges. That's why we created a program for young, beginning & small farmers designed to provide ongoing access to credit, related financial services and outreach programs.
If you are a farmer, rancher, producer or harvester of agricultural products and fit into one of the following classifications, you may be eligible for our program:
- Young – age 35 or younger.
- Beginning – 10 years or less farming or ranching experience.
- Small – Generating less than $250,000 in annual gross sales.
Starter Loan Programs
For young and beginning farmers, we offer relaxed underwriting standards on ag loans up to $500,000. Plus, you’ll be able to take advantage of reduced loan fee schedules reflecting discounts up to 85%. Learn more.
Learn more about our educational activities focused on areas like commodity marketing, succession planning and risk management. Each year, AgStar designs educational outreach programs such as agriculture business tours, round-table discussions, or conferences.
We also support other agricultural programs designed for future farmers and leaders including:
Find more resources to help you get started.
- Farm Service Agency - Official website of USDA's Farm Service Agency, outlining various farm programs and tools.
- MARL - Minnesota Ag and Rural Leadership program for active adult agricultural and rural leaders.
- MDA - Minnesota Department of Agriculture features a directory of beginning and transitioning farmer information.
- NYFEA - National Young Farmer Educational Association, who seeks to provide support for the next generation by helping them understand the opportunities found in agriculture.
- Rural Finance Authority - AgStar often works with the MN Rural Finance Authority on loan programs that assist young, beginning and small farmers.
- WHEDA - Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority programs for small business and agriculture.
Find out more about AgStar Young, Beginning & Small Farmer programs. Contact Us or call 1-866-577-1831.